Thursday, February 15, 2007

The First Cause Argument

The First Cause Argument states that there is a cause for everything. Something caused your birth, which in turn was caused by something else and so on.
Assuming we knew all the facts, soldeiring on in this way, we would reach the beginning of the universe or the beginning of time. What is the cause of this ?
The Argument states that the cause of this (or the first cause) would be God.

In his engagingly witty essay "Why I am not a Christian", Bertrand Russell says -- and I quote verbatim :

If everything has a cause, then God must have a cause. If there can be anything without a cause, it may just as well be the world as God, so that there cannot be any validity in this argument.....
There is no reason why the world could not have come into being without a cause; nor, on the other hand, is there any reason why it should not have always existed. There is no reason to suppose that the world had a begining at all. The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to a poverty of our imagination.


I am duty-bound to argue againts Mr.Russell's logic. But I think I fathom a point here which irritates me.
Mr. Russell is asking us why we make exceptions in our laws, in our logic, in our sciences to accomodate God. Why do laws apply to everything other than God. Everything must have a beginning but we cannot imagine God having a beginning (or and end, for that matter) !

Strange, isnt it !!!

1 comments:

Scribbler said...

Hmm.. interesting argument.... If I invent something, I would like to use it in my lifetime... If it is too personal to me... I would make sure its expiry date is much less than my life span(assuming I live atleast for another 30 years). If i want to argue on this line.. I guess am making sense.. God might have did the same while creating this universe...


Considering my size in this universe (where Earth itself looks not more than a micron width particle!), it is too much to judge who is God, what is his duty, whats his life span, begining, ending etc., and ofcourse if all of us agree that there is God. If this nano,nano,nano,nano particle called "me" can think it had framed the super existense God, I would say.. u first try framing ur life partner.. b4 jumping into conclusion!

If this argument is not enough, then think... If all road to finding begining of time ends at God, how can God's Life span be measured with the same time scale? Its like saying, if expiry date of this tablet manufactured by Ranbaxy is Feb 2007, find expiry date of Ranbaxy!