Monday, January 29, 2007

The SLOW movement

The SLOW movement
I have a feeling I will post more on this on a conntinuos basis on this blog.

The first question that came to my mind when I read about this was: If people start working less number of hours, will it impact the quality of services that we enjoy on day-to-day basis ? If my TV is broken and I call for the service guy, will he take his own sweet time to come and help me (while I miss crucial games in the cricket world cup !) ?

I want to write more on this in the near future as I want to understand what a "slow" life would mean to us individually as human beings and to the society at large.
Perhaps slow living does not mean lousy professionalism..maybe it means enjoying what you do...doing things because you love them and not because you need to do them for money.

Maybe, that is the gist of living life...doing things that we get joy out of directly. These days, we do things so we earn more money, so we can buy stuff, so they can give us comfort, so we can be happy --- in other words, enjoyment comes (if at all) indirectly... the consequences of your actions (in terms of enjoyment) are delayed..and it is getting worse every day, every week, every year.
Gone are the days when we used to get instant joy, satisfaction, contentment out of doing things...and those things were simple, like feeding/clothing our kids, sharing jokes with our parents/friends, reading books..
These days, we just put up with our lives, our jobs, our colleagues so we can save enough money to make our retired lives easier....

Your comments please... !

0 comments: